I love cooking with beer, I’ve used it a lot in past recipes — everything from Beer-Steamed Clams and Mussels to Pumpkin Spice Bread. So this new cookbook is right up my alley! The Ultimate Beer Lover’s Happy Hour includes bar snacks, beer cocktails, and recipes that incorporate beer into the dish as well as almost 1,000 beer pairing suggestions for the recipes.
I was sent one of the recipes in the cookbook to test and share with you: Eggplant & Portobello Pasta. I used local witbier in the recipe but you can also use a slightly toasty Vienna Lager, mellow Golden Ale, or classic American Wheat Ale.
I also have a fun contest to share! In celebration of the release of John Schlimm’s new book, The Ultimate Beer Lover’s Happy Hour, you can win a copy of the cookbook for your very own!
For a chance to win, try the recipe of the week (this Eggplant & Portobello Pasta I’m posting below) and take a photo of your dish.
Post it on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the hastag #BeerLoversHH and tag me! (Facebook: I Can Cook That, Instagram: @icancookthat, Twitter: @icancookthat). Send them my way by Monday, September 8 for a chance to win!
Photos posted using the hashtag will also be compiled onto Sourcebooks’ Pinterest page and shared across Sourcebooks Media.
Pair with: Vienna Lager, Golden Ale, American Wheat Ale
Adapted from The Ultimate Beer Lover’s Happy Hour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium eggplant, peeled and diced (I used graffiti eggplant)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 oz) beer of your choice, preferably the same beer you’re pairing with the dish (I used Walt Wit)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided